The CSIR has a vacancy for a General Assistant in the Technology for Special Operations (TSO) impact area, within the Defence and Security cluster.
The incumbent will be responsible for providing general as well as technical assistance in the TSO mechanical workshop and stores, to the technicians in the workshop, as well as to the administrative staff, as required. The position is based in Stellenbosch.
- A senior certificate (Grade 12) with at least two years’ experience in a similar role including experience in cleaning computer numerical control (CNC) and manual machines;
- Working knowledge of operational and handing of tools, e.g. grinder, cutters, reamers, drills, band saw and other workshop equipment;
- Working knowledge of milling machines and lathes;
- A valid security clearance fit for the environment;
- Computer literate;
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Clean mechanical workshop, machines and equipment;
- Perform general workshop tasks and assist technicians, under supervision, with technical work in the workshop as required, e.g. cutting materials, painting frames, holding and moving parts, assembling parts, etc.;
- Take responsibility for the mechanical tool store as well as the material store;
- Take responsibility for the goods receiving function of the team, including receiving and capturing orders, colleting orders, confirming orders against available purchase orders, issuing orders to recipients, recording and filing invoices, etc.;
- Clean mechanical tool store and material store;
- Clean the restrooms in the secure building, site and office areas;
- Log calls for general maintenance in the secure building;
- Control the issuing and maintenance of program assets stored;
- Assist with annual stock take of program assets;
- Take responsibility for assigned Occupational Health and Safety matters e.g. logging of lifting equipment schedules for inspections and maintenance, general inspections and registering, and handling of material safety data sheets on all chemicals in the area;
- Assist administrative officer with vehicle control – and registry duties when required.
How to apply?
closing date: 27 March 2020
explore more jobs in getter and dreamer.